Tomato Pasta Sauce
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings
Tip 1 If your picky eater protests against vegetable chunks, try this trick: Make sauce ahead of time; cool, remove bay leaves, then purée in a food processor (or with a hand blender that goes right in the pot), until smooth. Tip 2 You can get a head start on future dinners by doubling the recipe (you'll need to increase the cooking time slightly). This sauce freezes beautifully.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 carrot , chopped
- 1 stalk celery , chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cans diced or whole plum tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and salt. Cook just until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir.
- Add tomatoes. Mash with a potato masher to crush them into smaller pieces (especially with whole tomatoes). Add bay leaves, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 20-25 minutes.
- Makes 6 cups (1.5 L), enough for 4-6 dinner servings.
- In a serving: 83 calories, 2.7 g protein, 2.7 g fat, 14.6 g carbohydrates, 3.1 g dietary fibre, 22 mcg folate, 107 mg calcium, 3.0 mg iron