Taco Salad in an Edible Bowl
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 6 servings
Ok, it’s true – it’s the edible bowl thing that makes this salad. Not that there’s anything wrong with the salad. But the bowl is the fun part. And besides, it cuts down on dishwashing.
- 6 large (10 in.) flour tortillas
- 6 cups shredded crisp lettuce , (or more if you want)
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 398-mL can chili-style beans , or kidney beans, drained (or 2 cups home-cooked chili, warmed)
- 2 cups cheddar , or Monterey jack, shredded
- 1 ripe avocado , peeled and cubed
- sour cream , salsa, chopped onion, whatever
- First, make your edible bowls. You can do this in a microwave or a regular oven – a microwave is faster, but a regular oven will result in a more browned appearance. If you’re using a microwave, you’ll need a microwave-safe bowl (about 7 in./18cm in diameter, and 3 in./8 cm deep) to use as a “mould”. Line the bottom of the bowl with a sheet of folded paper towel (to absorb moisture), then squash one tortilla down into the bowl, pleating the sides evenly all around so it fits neatly. With a fork or sharp knife, piece the tortilla in several places to allow air to escape as it cooks. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, turning the bowl halfway through and poking a few more holes, if necessary, to reduce puffiness. You’ll see what I mean when you do it. The tortilla bowl will become more crisp as it cools.
- If you’re using a regular oven, find an ovenproof bowl (same size as above) – metal or glass – and squash one tortilla into it, pleating the sides to fit. Do not line the bowl with paper towel. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp and lightly browned.
- Toss the shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes together and divide the mixture between your edible bowls. Have your helper place a spoonful of beans or chili in the middle of the lettuce, then sprinkle with cheese and avocado. Put out bowls of sour cream, salsa and chopped onion and let everyone garnish their own salad.
- Don’t forget to eat your bowl – you don’t want to have to wash it, do you?