Spinach Pie Bites
16 Spinach Pie Bites
* PLUS Baking time: 12 minutes, Standing time: 5 minutes
These Greek-style pockets make for a tasty appetizer, or throw in a side salad and you’ve got a healthy dinner of mini spinach pies.
pkg frozen chopped
, or finely chopped green onions
crumbled Green, Macedonian or Balkan
, about 4 oz
, or melted and cooled butter
- Arrange racks at top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat oven to 375°F. Squeeze out liquid from spinach. Pat with kitchen or paper towel until very dry. In a medium bowl, whisk egg white. Add chives and nutmeg, and whisk until evenly mixed. Add spinach and feta. Stir to mix.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on the counter. (Cover remaining sheets with a dampened kitchen or paper towel until ready to use.) Cut phyllo on counter lengthwise into 4 strips. Brush with olive oil.
- Mound scant 2 tbsp spinach mixture on corner of 1 phyllo strip (see diagram). Fold corner diagonally across phyllo to cover filling. Press around filling, forming a triangle. Continue folding diagonally, as shown, working toward the end of the strip, maintaining triangular shape. Tuck in loose ends. Lightly brush top with oil. Place on greased baking sheet. Continue with remaining ingredients, creating 16 triangles and arranging on 2 large baking sheets.
- Place baking sheets on top and bottom racks of oven, and bake until pies are golden around edges and lightly golden on top, about 12 min, switching position of baking sheets halfway through. Cool slightly before serving, at least 5 to 10 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 4 g,
- 7 g,
- 1 g,