Sausage and Cheese Empanadas
18 to 18 servings
- 250 g uncooked hot or mild Italian sausages , (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro , (optional)
- 1 397-g pkg frozen puff pastry , thawed
- 1 egg , beaten
- Mexican chili powder , for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Remove the sausage meat from the casings and crumble into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring to break up clumps, until the sausage is cooked and all the excess fat has been rendered out. Drain off fat completely and transfer to a bowl. Let cool for a minute or two, then add the cheese, green onion and cilantro. Mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the puff pastry to a 12 in. (30 cm) square. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the pastry into nine 4 in. (10 cm) squares.
- Working with one piece of pastry at a time, place one heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture in the middle of the square. Brush the edges lightly with a pastry brush dipped in water and fold the pastry in half diagonally, pressing firmly into a triangle. Crimp the edges with a fork to make sure the empanada is securely sealed. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Fill the remaining squares of pastry in the same way. Roll out second sheet of puff pastry and repeat the process.
- Brush the tops of the empanadas lightly with beaten egg, then sprinkle with Mexican chili powder. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature, with salsa if desired.