Sardinian Kebabs Over Couscous
This article has not been rated yet.
Try these Sardinian kebabs over couscous with cauliflower, thyme and pine nuts.
- 750 g boneless pork , chicken or lamb, cut into 1-in. cubes
- 4 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 4 tbsp lemon juice , divided
- 2 tsp crumbled dried thyme
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 small head cauliflower , broken into small florets
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat couscous , (340 g box)
- In a bowl, combine the cubed meat with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the olive oil, 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the lemon juice and the thyme. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or as long as 2 hours). Soak 6 bamboo skewers, each measuring 8 in (20 cm), in water.
- About 20 to 30 minutes before you want to eat, preheat a barbecue grill to medium heat. Thread the cubes of meat onto the soaked skewers.
- Place the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat and toast, stirring often, until lightly browned — about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat the remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened — 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cauliflower and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the cauliflower begins to turn golden — 8 to 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth, currants and pepper, and bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous, remove from heat and let sit, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- While the couscous sits, grill the kebabs, turning occasionally, until cooked to taste — 7 to 10 minutes. Chicken and pork should be opaque in the middle; lamb can be served slightly pink.
- To serve, stir the remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice and the toasted pine nuts into the couscous. Spoon some couscous onto each plate and serve topped with a grilled kebab.