Portable Pizza Pockets
This article has not been rated yet.
Substitute your family's favourite pizza toppings for the ones we've suggested here.
- cornmeal , for baking sheets
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , cut into quarters
- 1/3 cup diced pepperoni , or chopped black olives
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp crumbled dried oregano
- black pepper , to taste
- 1 blob store-bought pizza dough , (approximately 700 g)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Grease one or two cookie sheets (depending on how big they are) and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
- In a bowl, toss together the mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, pepperoni or olives, Parmesan, oregano and black pepper. Set aside.
- Divide the blob of pizza dough into 6 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Working with one ball of dough at a time, flour it lightly and roll out to a 6 in (15 cm) circle on a floured surface. Spoon some of the cheese mixture into the middle of the circle, wet the edges slightly and fold over into a half-moon shape. Press the edges very firmly to seal all around – I like to use a fork to do this. (Be careful not to add too much filling to the pockets, as they will be more likely to leak if overstuffed.)
- Place on a prepared cookie sheet and press all around the edges again, just to make sure it’s really sealed. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Make sure there’s plenty of room around each pizza pocket for expansion. With a very sharp knife, cut 2 or 3 small slits in the top of each one for the steam to escape. Place in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool slightly before serving while still hot and gooey. Or cool to room temperature and tuck into insulated lunch boxes with freezer packs so they stay chilled.