Perfect Polka Dot Pesto Pizza
This article has not been rated yet.
8 to 8 servings
We all know that pizza is birthday party food. These kid-sized ones are green. With polka dots. Perfect.
- 1 pkg frozen bread dough , or pizza dough (or 1 loaf homemade bread dough)
- 1 cup prepared pesto sauce , (your own or store-bought)
- 250 g mozzarella , cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- If you’re using frozen bread or pizza dough, let it thaw (and rise) at room temperature, according to package directions. If you’re using your own homemade dough, allow it to rise once, then punch it down. Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Let the birthday kid squish and squoosh the balls of dough while you grease the baking pan.
- Now, roll out each ball of dough on a lightly floured surface, to about a 4 in. (10 cm) round. If you have lots of little helpers, you may want to invest in an extra rolling pin to avoid conflict. Place each round of dough onto the greased baking pan, leaving space between them for expansion. Top with a spoonful of pesto sauce, spreading it almost to the edges of the dough. Then place 5 or 6 cubes of mozzarella cheese on top of the pesto.
- Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cheese has melted into polka dots, and the crust is lightly browned on the bottom.
- Variations on the theme Adults only version: Top the pesto with crumbled goat cheese and slivered sun-dried tomatoes. Picky-kid version: Oh, go ahead, make some the regular way – with tomato sauce and mozzarella. There’s one in every crowd.