Mandarin Orange and Romaine Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
A fresh take on a delicious salad!
- 1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 284-mL can mandarin oranges , drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil , (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- First, make the sugared almonds. Combine the slivered almonds and the sugar in a small saucepan or skillet. Place over low heat and cook, stirring almost constantly, until the sugar melts and the almonds are toasted but not burnt (careful – they burn easily). Dump the almonds onto a greased baking pan and let cool, then break apart the clumps and set aside.
- Trim, wash and thoroughly dry the romaine lettuce. Tear into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl. Top with the mandarin orange sections, then refrigerate until serving time.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. When you’re ready to serve the salad, drizzle the dressing over the romaine and oranges, tossing until evenly coated. Sprinkle the top with the sugared almonds and serve immediately.