Iowa Loosemeat Sandwiches
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
What's not to like? Ground beef and not much else - no garlic, no tomatoes, no spices, no funny stuff whatsoever. Add the toppings of your choice and you're in business.
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 3/4 cup beef or chicken broth , (or water)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- sliced pickles
- chopped onion
- Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet.
- Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Add the broth, mustard, salt and pepper, lower the heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring once in a while, until most of the liquid has evaporated – 10 to 15 minutes.
- To serve: Spoon Loosemeat mixture onto split hamburger buns. Top with sliced pickles, chopped onion, mustard, ketchup or whatever you like. In Iowa, I understand the pickles are mandatory but everything else is optional.