Grilled Vegetable Pizza
Why order in? The barbecue's high heat blisters the crust in just the right way, giving the look and taste of pizza from a wood-burning oven. This recipe makes enough for a starter or side dish, but you could easily double or triple as needed for a main course.
- 2 ripe but firm plum tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 green onions
- olive oil
- pinches (generous) salt
- pinches (generous) black pepper
- pinches (generous) dried basil leaves
- 1 large Greek-style flat pita
- 1/2 cup goat cheese , or crumbled feta
- Lightly oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium high. Thickly slice tomatoes. Cut zucchini diagonally into long ovals. Place in a large bowl along with whole green onions. Drizzle with just enough oil to coat. Sprinkle with seasonings. Stir to coat. Brush 1 side of pita with oil.
- Place the vegetables on grill and barbecue until tender and lightly charred, 2-5 minutes per side, removing them as they are done.
- Next, place pita on grill and barbecue, with lid closed, just until grill marks form, 1-2 minutes per side. Crumble goat cheese over hot pita, then arrange tomatoes and zucchini on top. Slice onions and scatter overtop.
- Makes 2 servings.
- In a serving: 552 calories, 20 g protein, 21 g fat, 71 g carbs, 4 g dietary fibre, 131 mg calcium