Recipe by Curtis Stone and excerpted from What’s For Dinner?, published by Appetite by Random House. Photo by Maya Visneyi.
Grilled Ginger-Sesame Chicken Salad
Warm grilled chicken that's perfectly seasoned and tossed on a bed of veggies? What's not to love about this salad?
- 3 tbsp very finely peeled and chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts , halves (about 255g each)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced green onions , (white and green parts)
- 1 head napa cabbage , halved lengthwise and sliced very thinkly crosswise
- 2 carrots , cut into matchstick-sized strips
- 3 green onions , (white and green parts), thinly sliced on a sharp diagonal
- 2/3 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds , toasted
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds , toasted
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds , optional
- Marinade: In a medium bowl, whisk the ginger, soy sauce, canola oil, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha and salt to blend. Transfer 3 tbsp of the mixture to a baking dish, then add the chicken and turn to coat it. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hr, turning after 30 min, or let marinate all day in the refrigerator to make prep faster when you are ready to start dinner.
- Dressing: Whisk the vinegar and green onion into the remaining marinade. Set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over mediumhigh. Remove the chicken from the marinade, add to the grill pan and cook for about 4 min per side, or until the chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced in the thickest part with a small sharp knife. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool for about 15 min.
- Cut the chicken crosswise into ¼-in.-thick slices.
- Salad: In a large bowl, toss the chicken, cabbage, carrots, green onions and cilantro with enough dressing to coat lightly.
- Mound the salad in the centre of four plates. Re-whisk the dressing and drizzle a little over and around the salad. Sprinkle with almonds and sesame seeds, and serve.