Originally published in the July 2012 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
Grilled Chicken and Veg Chopped Salad
A warm summer salad is the best. Even reluctant green-eaters can get behind perfectly marinated chicken and veg, with just a little lettuce on the side.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 small zucchini , halved lenghtwise
- 1/2 red onion , peeled, cut through the root into 6 wedges
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 tomato , cut into 1-in. chunks
- 1/2 cup crumbled chevre
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk until uniform. Set half of mixture aside as dressing. Add thyme and garlic to remaining dressing to use as marinade.
- Place chicken in a bowl and toss with 2 tbsp marinade. Put mushrooms, zucchini and red onion in a bowl and toss with remaining marinade.
- Heat grill to high. Grill chicken for 5 to 7 min a side or until grill marked and cooked through. Grill mushrooms gill side up for 6 min or until juicy, and zucchini and onions for 4 to 5 min per side or until tender.
- Slice chicken and vegetables into pieces and place in invividual rows on a platter with lettuce, tomatoes and chèvre. Drizzle reserved dressing over lettuce and tomatoes and serve at once.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 32 g,
- 10 g,
- 19 g,
- 3 g,
- 310 mg.