Great White Pizza
There is something so very pure and innocent about this pizza. Slightly garlicky and nicely cheesy - it's perfect for a tomato-phobic kid.
- 4 servings
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 12 inch (30 cm) unbaked pizza crust
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- First – pour the milk into a blender. Add the garlic and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for just a minute or two, until foamy. Now, add the milk mixture, stirring (or whisking) constantly, until it is no longer lumpy. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cook, stirring, until the sauce is smooth and thickened – about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. OK, now you have the sauce. Let it cool slightly.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the surface of the pizza crust – almost but not quite to the edges. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned underneath and the topping is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Great Green Variation: Stir ½ cup (125 mL) well-drained, chopped, cooked spinach into the white sauce. Substitute crumbled feta cheese for the mozzarella. Bake as above.