Gourmet Grilled Cheese
Cook panini on the stove or in a sandwich press.
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- 3 tbsp non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar , Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese
- thin slices Black Forest ham , prosciutto or smoked turkey
- grated carrot , zucchini or apple
- thinly sliced tomato , avocado or roasted beet
- baby spinach , or arugula
- cooked onions , asparagus, broccoli, red pepper or eggplant
- hot sauce , pesto or chutney
- Spread about 1 tsp (5 mL) margarine on each slice of bread.
- Pile 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) cheese on the plain side of 4 slices. Top with your family’s choice of filling options, making sure the side of the bread spread with margarine remains on the outside.
- Place 2 large frying pans on the stovetop over medium heat. Lay 2 sandwiches in each pan and cook for 2-4 minutes per side. Serve immediately with salad (right).
- Makes 4 sandwiches.
- In 1 cheese sandwich: 429 calories, 18 g protein, 23 g fat, 40 g carbs