Originally published in the April 2013 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.
Curried Chicken SaladBy Eshun Mott
Sweet and crunchy chicken salad finds a perfect home inside a warm pita. Reduce the amount of curry in this recipe if your little one can't tolerate heat.
- 2 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp medium curry paste
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 Granny Smith apple , cored and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- Put chicken breasts in a pot with enough water to completely cover them (about 5 cups). Add peppercorns and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat, turn down to medium and simmer for 2 min.
- Cover pot, remove from heat and let stand for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from liquid, coarsely chop chicken and reserve.
- Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, curry paste and chutney in a large bowl and stir to incorporate.
- In a bowl toss apples with lemon juice to coat.
- Add chicken, apples, dried apricots, onion and mint to curry mixture and toss until coated. Serve with pitas or bowls.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 56 g,
- 35 g,
- 28 g,
- 4 g,
- 475 mg.