Creamy Pasta and Sausage
Great Weeknight Dinner Swap recipe contest runner-up, pasta main dishes category
- 500 g rigatoni pasta , (or penne, if preferred)
- 500 g uncooked mild or hot Italian sausages
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/4 tsp salt , (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves , lightly packed (about 1/2 of a 284 g bag)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan , (plus more for serving at the table)
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, remove sausage meat from casings and place in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, stirring to break up clumps, until no longer pink — about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper, and continue cooking until the onions are translucent — 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, chicken broth and flour. Add the liquid mixture to the pan with the sausage and cook, stirring, until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 1 or 2 minutes, until smooth and thickened.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain well and add to the pan with the sauce. Add the spinach, toss, then add the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Serve immediately, with additional Parmesan if you like.