Chunky Chicken Chili
This article has not been rated yet.
This recipe makes precisely enough chicken chili to fill 2 Thermoses. If your child happens to like beans, stir in 1 cup canned red or white kidney beans when you add the tomatoes.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , squished
- 1 tbsp chili powder , (or to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cumin , (or less)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes , (or ground tomatoes)
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1/4 in. cubes. Heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan and add the chicken cubes, stirring them over medium heat until they’re no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped onion, garlic, chili powder and ground cumin, and continue cooking until the onion begins to soften – about 5 more minutes. Now stir in the chicken broth, the ground tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the flavours are blended. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve this chili with a bit of shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese and some rice, crackers or pita bread.