Originally published in the November 2011 issue. Photo by Jim Norton.
Chorizo and Chickpea Soup
Protein, vegetables and even a little dairy are packed into this hearty soup. Looks like the gang's all here.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g pkg chorizo sausages , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 796 mL can diced tomatoes
- 1 540 mL can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 2 large potatoes , peeled and diced
- 1 tbps chopped thyme , or 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup grated Parmesan
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring frequently, until edges become golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and onion, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, chickpeas, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Gradually stir in spinach and simmer until it’s wilted and incorporated with other ingredients, 1–2 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle generously with Parmesan. Serve hot with some fresh crusty bread.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 35 g,
- 19 g,
- 5 g,