Originally published in the August 2010 issue. Photo by Vincent Noguchi.
Best Homemade Burgers
Looking for a juicy, homemade burger recipe that you can really sink your teeth into? Welcome this basic-but-delicious version into your life.
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp finely minced red, green or regular cooking onion , optional
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper , to taste
- 1 lb ground beef
- toasted or grilled hamburger buns
- Place egg, onion (if using), Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk together.
- Add beef; then, using your hands or a spoon, combine until just mixed (overworking will make burgers tough). Divide mixture into 4 equal portions and form patties no thicker than 3⁄4 in. Using your thumb, press a shallow indentation into the centre of each burger; this will prevent them from puffing in the centre as they sometimes do.
- Stovetop: Lightly oil a large frying pan and set over medium heat. Add burgers and cook, turning once or twice, until no longer pink inside, 6-8 minutes a side.
- Barbecue: Lightly oil grill, then preheat to medium. Grill burgers 5-6 minutes a side, turning once. If they flare up, close the lid. Burgers should be well done, with an internal temperature of 160°F.
Before adding ground beef to the seasonings, mix in one of the following: a) 1⁄4 cup grated carrot or zucchini, or finely chopped mushrooms, b) 2 tbsp barbecue sauce or salsa, c) 1 tsp Cajun or Tex-Mex seasoning, or Tabasco sauce or, form each patty around 1 tbsp feta, goat cheese or cheddar.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 31 g,
- 15 g,
- 2 g,