This article has not been rated yet.
24 to 24 servings
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans , adzuki beans, mung beans or chickpeas (if using canned, drain and rinse)
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 2 carrots , peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- 1 handful chopped parsley , or cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat, rice, kamut or spelt bread crumbs , (or 1/2 cup ground seeds, if preferred)
- 1 or 2 eggs , (depending on size), lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, using a hand blender, mash beans. Add onion, carrots, garlic, parsley and bread crumbs and stir. Add egg and stir again.
- Chill for up to 1 hour before forming into patties or sausage shapes – smaller ones for the kids, larger ones for mom and dad. Brush with oil and cook in a frying pan, or griddle, on medium heat until brown.
- In 1 burger: 60 calories, 2.6 g protein, 1.3 g fat, 9.5 g carbohydrates, 2.1 g dietary fibre, 25 mg calcium