Originally published in the September 2010 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
BBQ Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
You probably make your grilled cheese in a pan. But we say it's time to take it outside and get that sandwich all nice and melty on the BBQ.
- 1 red sweet pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- generous pinches Italian seasoning
- generous pinches salt
- generous pinches black pepper
- 8 slices Texas toast , or other thick-sliced bread
- 6 oz cheddar , sliced
- 4 slices Black Forest ham , or prosciutto
- Oil barbecue grill, then preheat to medium. Slice tomatoes into thick rounds and cut peppers into quarters. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasonings.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread lightly with oil, then place, oiled side down, on a large cutting board, platter or baking sheet. Top 4 slices with cheese, leaving a 1/2-in (1 cm) border around edges.
- Arrange all 8 slices, oiled side down, on the hot grill, alongside tomatoes and peppers. Barbecue, covered, until grill marks form, cheese begins to melt and vegetables are tender, 2 minutes for the bread and 2-4 minutes per side for vegetables, removing items to cutting board as each is done.
- Layer cheese-topped bread slices with grilled tomatoes and peppers, then slices of ham. Top with remaining bread, grilled side up. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23 g,
- 43 g,
- 21 g,
- 3 g,