See how the kids can help make this tasty dish with our Cooking With Kids video:
Baked Egg and Veggie Squares
Use whatever veggies your family likes in this main-dish casserole. And if you're all out of fresh, you can use leftover cooked ones, or frozen (in which case you skip the steaming step - just defrost and place in the baking dish).
- 4 cups vegetable , of your choice, cut into 1/2-in. chunks
- 5 eggs
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss , or cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8 in. (20 cm) square baking dish.
- Place the chopped veggies in a steamer basket over boiling water. Steam until just tender but still crisp. (Exactly how long depends on what kind of vegetable you’re using. Chopped zucchini will take only 4 or 5 min, broccoli 6 to 8 min, and carrots as long as 10 to 12.) Dump veggies into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper until smooth, then stir in the cottage cheese. Pour egg mixture over the veggies in the baking dish and spread everything out into an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 25 min. Remove from oven, sprinkle with the shredded Swiss or cheddar cheese, and bake for another 8 to 10 min, or until the centre of the casserole is set and the cheese is melted.