Originally published in the November + December 2017 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Italian Meatball BitesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
What's not to love about a homemade meatball coupled with fresh basil and a mini bocconcini on a stick? Your party guests won't be disappointed by these.
- 450 g lean ground turkey
- 2 mild Italian sausage , casings removed
- ¾ cup finely grated Parmean
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg , beaten
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- 40 short wood skewers
- 40 mini bocconcini
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Mix turkey, sausage, Parmesan, panko, egg, pesto, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a large bowl until well-combined. Scoop out heaping spoonfuls of turkey mixture and form into balls to make 40 meatballs. Place on prepared sheet. Bake meatballs until no longer pink inside, flipping halfway through cooking, about 10 min.
- Thread each skewer with 1 ball of bocconcini, 1 basil leaf and 1 meatball. Serve on a platter with warmed marinara sauce with extra sauce for dipping.
Nutrition (per meatball)
- 14 g,
- 4 g,
- 13 g,
- 251 mg.