Originally published in the Today’s Parent November/December 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Turtle FudgeBy Chatelaine
3 hrs 55 min
Chocolate + caramel + pecans (with a dash of salt) = holiday baking perfection. Make a big batch, so you can wrap up the leftovers as gifts.
- 450 g bittersweet chocolate , chopped (about 3 cups)
- 300 mL can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans , coarsely chopped, divided
- 300 g chewy caramels , unwrapped (preferably Werther's)
- 1 tbsp 35% cream
- 1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
- Line the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8-in. baking pan with 2 large overlapping pieces of plastic wrap.
- Combine chocolate with milk in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium, stirring halfway through, until chocolate is almost melted, 2 to 3 min. Remove from microwave and stir until evenly mixed and smooth. Fold in 1 cup pecans. Scrape fudge into prepared pan and press down. Cover with plastic wrap and smooth top. Set aside.
- Combine caramels with cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until just melted and smooth, about 7 min. Set aside to cool slightly, about 2 min.
- Uncover fudge and spread caramel over fudge to edges. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup pecans and salt. Cover pan with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 hr or overnight. Fudge keeps well refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Nutrition (per square)
- 3 g,
- 29 g,
- 16 g,
- 3 g,
- 151 mg.