This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
The leftover mashed potatoes are reborn as a creamy topping to the reincarnated roast beef. The cycle of eating continues
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , squished
- 1 green sweet pepper , diced
- 1 carrot , diced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups finely chopped leftover roast beef
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup , (or barbecue sauce)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- paprika , for garnish
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for a couple of minutes, until softened. Add the peppers, carrots, and mushrooms, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the carrots are almost tender.
- Add the chopped meat to the skillet and cook, stir to combine, then add the peas, water and ketchup. Stir well, then cover and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and dump into a 8- or 9-inch (20 or 23 cm) square baking dish.
- If you’re using leftover mashed potatoes, place them in a bowl and re-mash them with a fork until smooth. You might want to add a bit of additional milk or broth so that they’re creamy. Spoon evenly over the meat mixture in the baking dish, swirl decoratively with a fork and sprinkle with a bit of paprika.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden and the meat is bubbling underneath.