Real Candy Apples
This is a thoroughly reprehensible treat with very little redeeming nutritional value (apart from the actual apple). It is messy to eat, sticks to your teeth and is completely wonderful.
- 10 small, very red apples
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- Wash and dry apples thoroughly. Remove stems and poke popsicle sticks securely into stem ends.
- Combine the sugar, water, vanilla and corn syrup in a large, deep pan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Continue cooking the syrup without stirring until it reaches 280°F (140°C) on a candy thermometer (yes, you really do need to use one).
- Remove from heat and dip apples, one at a time, into syrup. Place apples on a greased pan to cool. These are best eaten the day they are made, but will keep until the next day if necessary.