Originally published in the Today’s Parent November/December 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Pink almond-coconut snowballsBy Chatelaine
Treat them to something extra sweet this holiday season with millennial pink snowball cookies. Not only are they tasty, but they make for great gifts.
- 100 g pkg ground almonds , (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter , at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup unsweetened dsiccated coconut
- red food colouring
- 2/3 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Stir almonds, flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and vanilla. Using your hands, combine mixture until it forms a pliable (but crumbly) dough. Roll into 1-in. balls. Arrange on prepared sheets, at least 1 in. apart.
- Bake in centre of oven until tops are cracked and edges are lightly browned, 12 to 13 min. Transfer sheets to a rack to cool slightly, 15 min.
- Combine coconut and a few drops food colouring in a resealable zip-top bag. Close and shake until coconut turns pink. Place coconut mixture in a small bowl. Stir icing sugar with 2 tbsp water in a small bowl.
- Dip domed tops of warm cookies into the icing sugar glaze, then into the coconut mixture until coated. Return cookies to sheets to cool completely.
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 1 g,
- 7 g,
- 5 g,
- 1 g,
- 34 mg.