Perfectly Plain Party Meatballs
This article has not been rated yet.
48 to 48 servings
Simmered in a savoury sauce or simply stabbed on a toothpick, meatballs are the perfect easy appetizer
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef , (or turkey, or a mixture)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumb
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a large cookie sheet. In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, onion, salt and pepper. Squish together with a fork or clean hands, until well mixed. Using a tablespoon measure as a scoop, make uniform meatballs (about 1 in/2 cm diameter), rolling them between your hands so they’re nice and round. Place in a single layer on the prepared cookie sheet and bake at 375º F (190º C).
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until well browned, turning them over halfway through baking. Serve warm.
- Makes about 48 meatballs.
- In a serving (5 plain meatballs): 191 calories, 16 g protein, 11 g fat, 7 g carbs, 28 mg calcium, 17 mcg folate, 233 mg sodium, 2 mg iron
- Greek Meatballs: To the recipe above, add 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh mint and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crumbled dried oregano. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until well browned, turning them over halfway through baking. Serve hot with store-bought or homemade tzatziki sauce for dipping.
- Saucy Meatballs: Bake Basic Perfectly Plain Party Meatballs for only 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through baking, until just beginning to brown. Scoop the meatballs off the cookie sheet, leaving any fat that has drained out of them behind. Simmer the browned meatballs in one of the sauces below.
- Teriyaki Meatballs: In a large saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water, 1/2 cup (125 mL) low-sodium soy sauce, 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar, 1/4 cup (50 mL) lemon juice, 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger, 4 minced garlic cloves and 2 tbsp cornstarch. Stir well, then place over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring often. When the mixture begins to thicken, drop in the browned meatballs and let simmer in the sauce for 20-30 minutes, stirring often.
- Crazy Good BBQ Meatballs: In a large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar, 1 cup (250 mL) cider vinegar, 3/4 cup (175 mL) ketchup, 1/4 cup (50 mL) Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp (30 mL) each dry mustard and paprika, and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper. Stir well, then add 1/2 cup (125 mL) water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Allow the sauce to cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened – 15-20 minutes. Add the meatballs and continue to cook for 20-30 minutes more, or until sauce is thick and clings to the meatballs.