Penne with Heart-y Tomato Sauce
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
“Hey these must be the veins,” Jared says, as he stabs a single penne on his fork. “Yeah, and here’s some blood,” Dustin adds cheerfully, swirling an artichoke heart in the tomato sauce. It might be Valentine’s Day for the rest of the world, but at our house it’s always Halloween.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , squished
- 1 796-mL can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp crumbled dried oregano
- 1 tsp crumbled dried basil , (or twice as much chopped fresh, if you can get it)
- 2 170-mL jars marinated artichoke hearts
- 6 cups uncooked penne pasta , (or whatever pasta you like)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- In a large saucepan or skillet, cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the tomatoes with all their juice, the oregano and basil and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened – 10 to 15 minutes.
- Now add the marinated artichoke hearts (with all the marinade from the jars) and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne in plenty of boiling salted water until tender but not mushy. Drain thoroughly, then toss with the tomato sauce, the Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan for sprinkling at the table.