This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Baking time: 35 minutes
No rolling required! The plain version is delicious and buttery; or fancy it up with one of the variations below.
1 1/2 cups plus 1 tbsp
cake and pastry flour
- In a bowl, beat butter until smooth, then beat in sugar and salt until well mixed. Stir in flour in three additions, beating just until mixed between each.
- Turn mixture into a lightly greased 8 in (2 L) square baking pan and, using flour-dusted fingers, press to an even thickness to fill pan. Using a fork, pierce dough every few inches. Generously sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake in preheated 325°F (160°C) oven until golden around edges, about 35 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then run a thin-bladed knife around the edges to loosen, and cut into squares. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then store in an airtight container, in a cool place, for up to 1 week. To make ahead: Bake cookies, cool fully and freeze up to 1 month.
- Chocolate Citrus Shortbread Variation: Stir 1 cup (250 mL) mini chocolate chips and 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange or lemon zest into dough with the last addition of flour.
- Savoury Cran-Rosemary Shortbread Variation: Stir 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) chopped dried cranberries into dough with the last addition of flour. Replace coarse sugar with small sprigs of fresh rosemary randomly pressed into dough before baking.
- Makes 16 squares.
- In 1 square: 134 calories, 1 g protein, 9 g fat, 13 g carbs, 11 mcg folate, 1 mg iron