Originally published in the November 2013 issue. Photo by Andrew Grinton.
Mocha Cream Cheese Swirl BrownieBy Today's Parent
16 Large Brownies
Take your brownie game up a notch with a shot of espresso and a sweet swirl of cream cheese.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butters , cut into pieces
- 114 g chopped bittersweet chocolate , (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder , (such as Fry's)
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup block-style cream cheese , room temperature
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-in.-square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt butter with chocolate in a small heavy bottomed pot over low heat, stirring until uniform. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring until fully combined. Stir in vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, espresso, baking powder and salt in a bowl and stir with a fork until uniform. Whisk flour mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Mix together cream cheese, sugar, butter, egg yolk and vanilla until fully combined.
- Pour half the chocolate batter into the pan and spread to the corners. Add dollops of cream cheese mixture, then pour the rest of the chocolate batter around them. Use the tip of a knife to swirl the batters together.
- Bake for 30 to 35 min or until brownies are set and a cake tester comes out with crumbs clinging to it. Let cool, then transfer to the refrigerator to chill fully before cutting into squares.
Always measure powdery ingredients like flour and cocoa by spooning them into a dry measuring cup and levelling off with a straight edge. This method is the most accurate.
Bake ahead and cool in the refrigerator until solid. Transfer with parchment paper to a sealable plastic bag and freeze up to 2 months. Defrost the day before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 23 g,
- 13 g,
- 1 g,
- 116 mg.