Mini Pumpkin CookiesBy Today's Parent
4 Dozen Cookies
- 1 cup pumpkin puree , (a 3 1/2-lb. sugar pumpkin should yiled 1 cup, or use pure canned pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 3/4 cup toasted shelled pumpkin seeds , divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel, seed and dice your pumpkin. Discard peel and set seeds aside for another use. Place pumpkin in a large pot of boiling water; simmer until tender. Drain. Mash well with a potato masher and set aside to cool.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a stand mixer, combine butter, sugar and egg. Mix on medium speed until creamy, about 2 to 3 min. The mixture will look curdled. Add pumpkin, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon and salt. Mix on low speed until incorporated. Gently stir in flour. Stir in dried cranberries, dried apricots and ½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds. It will be a very soft dough.
- Drop tbsp-sized balls of dough onto sheets, leaving about 1 in. between cookies. Flatten each with the back of a spoon or a moistened fingertip to 1½-in. diameter. Decorate the top of each cookie with 3 toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 9 to 10 min in upper- and lower-thirds of your oven, switching position of baking sheets halfway through cooking time. Cool on a rack before serving. Repeat with remaining batter.
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 2 g,
- 11 g,
- 3 g,
- 1 g,
- 55 mg.