Jammy Rugelach Fingers
All the yumminess of classic rugelach, baked into a super-simple bar cookie.
- 1 250 g block cream cheese , chilled, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , chilled, cut into cubes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup raspeberry jam , or apricot jam
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans , or walnuts
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 egg yolk
- coarse sugar , for decorating
- Place pastry ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until cheese and butter are broken down into small chunks and dough starts to come together. Turn onto a lightly floured counter and gently knead to form a ball.
- Divide dough in half and form into 2 discs. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Let dough sit on counter for 30 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll each disc into a 9 x 13 in (22.5 x 32.5 cm) rectangle.
- Whisk egg yolk with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Place 1 rectangle in an ungreased 9 x 13 in (3 L) baking pan. Lightly brush with egg mixture. Spread jam overtop, then sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips. Lightly brush egg mixture over remaining dough rectangle. Place egg-side down over jam filling. Press edges to seal.
- Brush top of pastry with more egg mixture. Using the tip of a knife, score decorative diagonal slashes all over pastry. Generously sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until pastry is deep golden, 35-40 minutes. Run a thin-bladed knife around edges to loosen.
- Cool completely, then cut into fingers, squares or bars. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 5 days or freeze up to 1 month.
- In 1 finger: 78 calories, 1 g protein, 5 g fat, 8 g carbs