Originally published in the Today’s Parent December 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Italian ShortbreadBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
1 h 10 min
2 dozen cookies
A sweet-savoury and subtly spicy treat, this shortbread is the antidote for wrapping rage.
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary , (plus more for garnish) or 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp hot-pepper flakes , optional
- Preheat oven to 300F. Grease two 9-in. pie plates. Set aside. In a medium bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla until well mixed. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, rosemary, salt and chili flakes (if desired). Beat flour mixture into butter mixture until just combined.
- Divide dough into 2 portions and spread each in prepared plate. Sprinkle edges with 2 tsp more fresh rosemary (dried rosemary can burn). Bake 45 to 55 min. Slice each disc into 12 wedges while still warm. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.