Originally published in the Today’s Parent November/December 2021 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Easy sugar cookiesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Bake up some sweet treats—and fun—with your petit chef using this no-fuss recipe.
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter with sugar until fluffy in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, 2 to 3 min. Beat in egg and vanilla, 30 sec. Gradually stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Scoop out 2-tbsp portions of dough and roll into 11/2-in. balls. Arrange on baking sheets, 2 in. apart. Dip the flat bottom of a drinking glass in flour, then press down each cookie to flatten to 1/4 in. thick.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, until cookies are just golden, 14 to 16 min. Let stand on sheet for 2 min, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Decorate with royal icing, or as desired.
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 2 g,
- 16 g,
- 8 g,
- 58 mg.