Originally published in the Today’s Parent November/December 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
DIY Holiday Candy BarBy Chatelaine
Looking for something to do on a snowy Saturday? Grab some sprinkles and get the kids involved in decorating these festive candy bars.
- 3 thick pretzel sticks
- 1 1/4 cup brown candy melts
- 3/4 cup green candy melts
- 6 star-shaped candies
- assorted decorating sprinkles , holiday sprinkles of mini M&Ms
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Using a ruler and pencil, trace six 5 x 3-in. rectangles on parchment, then flip over so lines are still visible.
- Cut the pretzel rods in half, crosswise.
- Place brown candy melts in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high, stirring halfway through, about 1 min.
- Scoop 3 tbsp melted candy melts onto each rectangle. Use a palette knife or spoon to spread to the edges to create a “bar.” Place pretzel piece on the centre of each bar. Set aside until firm, 10 to 15 min.
- Place green candy melts in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high, stirring halfway through, about 1 min. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a ¼-in. round tip, or a resealable zip-top bag with 1 corner snipped to make a ¼-in. diameter opening.
- Pipe a zigzag tree pattern, starting from one end of the pretzel rod, making each line longer than the previous one. Decorate with star-shaped candies and sprinkles. Set aside until firm, 10 to 15 min.
- Wrap each bar in a cellophane bag and tie with a ribbon.
Nutrition (per square)
- 2 g,
- 25 g,
- 11 g,
- 65 mg.