Cranberry and Maple Eton Mess
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Baking time: 120 minutes
This Cranberry and Maple Eton Mess is a delectable dessert perfect for your next special family meal.
cream of tartar
, (from about 2 oranges)
FOR WHIPPED CREAM:
- To make the meringues: Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they form soft peaks. Add sugar a spoonful at a time, until fully incorporated and dissolved and mixture is stiff and glossy. Beat in cream of tartar, vanilla and orange zest until just combined.
- Use a spoon to place 8 dollops of meringue mixture on prepared baking sheet and bake for 2 hours, then turn off the oven and let stand for at least 1 hour until fully cooled and crisp. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Meringues will keep for up to 2 days.
- To make the sauce: Combine cranberries, orange juice and maple syrup in a heavy pot over medium-low heat. Cover pot and simmer gently for 8 min or until most of the cranberries have split. Remove lid and simmer 2 min longer or until saucy. Set aside to cool.
- To make the whipped cream: Beat the cream with maple syrup until it makes soft peaks.
- To assemble: Crumble meringues into large and small pieces. Using decorative glasses make layers of whipped cream, cranberry sauce and crumbled meringue, repeating until glasses are filled. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 71 g,
- 21 g,
- 3 g,
- 55 mg.
Substitute storebought meringues and cranberry sauce to make this dessert super quickly.