Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cheesecake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 475-mL tubs extra-smooth ricotta , (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar , divided
- 6 eggs , separated
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- icing sugar , for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a 10 in (25 cm) springform pan.
- In the container of a food processor, or by hand with a pastry blender, combine the flour, butter and icing sugar until it forms a uniform crumbly mixture. Press firmly and evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or just until lightly browned all over. Remove from oven.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the ricotta cheese for about 2 minutes or until fairly creamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup (250 mL) of the sugar, then add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each one. Add the flour, cornstarch and vanilla, then beat until fluffy and thoroughly combined — about 2 or 3 minutes — scraping down the sides once in a while.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until slightly foamy. Continue to beat, adding the remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar a spoonful at a time, until stiff but still glossy. Gently fold about a quarter of the egg whites into the ricotta mixture, then fold in the remaining egg whites. Take care not to deflate the mixture — better a few streaks of white than to over-mix. Sprinkle in the chocolate chips, fold with a spatula to mix, then pour into the prepared, crust-lined pan. Wrap the bottom of the pan in foil or place on a pizza pan to prevent leaks, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until puffed in the middle but still slightly jiggly when you shake the pan. Let cool completely, then refrigerate until cold.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the springform pan to loosen, then carefully remove the upper pan. With the pan bottom still underneath, transfer the cake to a serving platter and dust thickly with icing sugar.