Originally published in the Today’s Parent November/December 2021 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Chocolate and candy cane shortbread squaresBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
These no-roll classic cookies are speckled with candy cane pieces for the perfect holiday treat.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter , cubed
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
- 1/4 cup mini milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 300F. Line a 9 × 13-in. non-stick metal baking pan with parchment, with overhanging edges on all sides.
- Whirl flour with icing sugar, rice flour and salt in a food processor until combined. Add cubed butter through the feed tube while pulsing until dough just comes together. Dough will be slightly crumbly. Transfer to prepared pan, along with candy canes and chocolate chips. Stir gently to combine.
- Press dough over bottom of pan. Use the flat bottom of a measuring cup to press down on dough and smooth top. Score the surface into 24 squares, about 2 mm deep. (Cookies will be easier to cut.) Prick dough all over with a fork.
- Bake until top is just golden, 30 to 35 min. Cut shortbread into squares while still hot. Lift parchment and place on cooling rack for cookies to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 1 month.
To break up candy canes, place in a heavy-duty resealable zip-top bag, then crush with a rolling pin.
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 1 g,
- 16 g,
- 8 g,
- 65 mg.