Originally published in the Today’s Parent July/August 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Spanish hot dogBy Chatelaine
Add a taste of Spain to your weekend barbecue! These gourmet hot dogs are topped with crispy chips and a smoky tomato sauce.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup crushed barbecue-flavoured potato chips
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion starts to soften, 3 to 4 min. Add tomatoes, honey, vinegar, paprika, salt and ⅓ cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened but saucy, about 8 min.
- Top hot dogs with tomato sauce. Sprinkle with chips and parsley.
- Recipe makes enough toppings for 8 hot dogs. We recommend barbecuing hot dogs for 5 to 10 min. (depending on size), until grill marks form and hot dogs are cooked through. Lightly toast buns on the grill, if desired. Serve hot.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 18 g,
- 5 g,
- 2 g,
- 190 mg.