Southwest Grilled Chicken Breasts with Corn and Black Bean Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
Make the salad while the chicken is marinating. The whole thing goes together in minutes.
- 1 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne , (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 750 g skinless, boneless chicken breasts , (about 4 to 6)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil , or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels , defrosted (or cooked fresh corn cut from cobs)
- 1 540-mL can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1/2 medium green or red sweet pepper , diced
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper , chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro , or parsley
- First, make the spice mixture. In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, paprika, cayenne (if you’re using it), cumin, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Transfer to a small shaker jar.
- Arrange the chicken on a plate and brush on both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle spice mixture generously on both sides and rub it in with your fingers so that everything is nicely coated. Cover and place in the refrigerator for about 30 min, or as long as a couple of hours, to let the flavour soak in. Leftover spice mixture can be stored at room temperature to use another time.
- When ready to grill the chicken, preheat the barbecue on high for about 5 min. Reduce the heat to medium, place chicken breasts on the grill and lower the lid. Cook for about 5 min, then turn breasts over and continue to grill for another 5 to 7 min or until the chicken breasts are no longer pink inside (if you don’t have a meat thermometer, cut a small slit into the thickest breast to check that it’s cooked through). Remove to a cutting board.
- To serve, cut chicken breasts crosswise into ¼ in (0.5 cm) slices and arrange on a plate over a mound of Corn and Black Bean Salad.
- For salad, in a medium saucepan, stir together the vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then add the corn and black beans. Toss together for a minute or two, then remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Add the diced pepper, green onions, jalapeno (if using) and cilantro or parsley. Toss to combine, and refrigerate until ready to serve.