Originally published in the Today’s Parent May 2014 issue.
Seared Steak with Green Olive RelishBy Eshun Mott
This article has not been rated yet.
4 adult servings
Steak is the star of this meal for grown-up palates, with a roasted veggie side dish that works for diners big and small.
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp minced or grated garlic
- 2 1-in. thick strip loin steaks , (about 300 g each)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Combine chopped olives, parsley, vinegar, mustard and garlic in a bowl. Reserve. Pat steaks dry with a paper towel and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron or heavy frying pan on medium-high. Add oil and carefully tilt pan to coat. Add steaks and sear on one side for 2 to 3 min oruntil evenly browned. Turn steak over and add butter to pan. Cook, spooning melted butter over steaks, for 2 to 3 min longer or until steak is cooked to desired degree of doneness.
- Remove from pan and let stand for 5 min before slicing against the grain. Serve with olive relish.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 30 g,
- 1 g,
- 22 g,
- 0 g,
- 403 mg.