Quickie Vegetarian Quesadillas
This article has not been rated yet.
Four ingredients are all you need to make these quick vegetarian quesadillas. Whip them up on your outdoor grill or stovetop.
- 1 cup canned black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack
- 8 7-in. whole wheat flour tortillas
- Preheat outdoor grill, if using. Prep Mexicana Veggies and Dip (see step 4). In a medium bowl, combine black beans and salsa. Grate cheese.
- Heat 1 or 2 large skillets over medium heat (or take quesadilla ingredients to preheated outdoor grill). Slap down 1 tortilla per skillet (or as many as you can handle on the grill), slather 1⁄4 of the bean-salsa mixture on top of each with a spatula, sprinkle over with 1⁄4 of the grated cheese and cover with another tortilla.
- Cook 2 minutes, pressing down on top. With a spatula in each hand, flip quesadillas one at a time by sliding a spatula underneath and laying the other spatula on top. Cook another 1 to 2 minutes, or until the underside is golden brown. Cover cooked quesadillas while you’re working on the rest.
- Cut quesadillas into wedges. Serve with veggies and dip or a tossed salad, and enjoy!
- For Mexicana Veggies and Dip: Mix up a batch of Guacamole Dressing and Dip: In a bowl, place 1⁄4 avocado, 1⁄2 small garlic clove (minced), and 1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and Dijon mustard; mash with a fork. Whisk in 1 tbsp (15 mL) each plain yogurt, lime juice, canola oil and water, plus 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) honey and a pinch of cayenne powder. Serve with your kids’ favourite cut-up veggies (we like red and yellow peppers and cherry tomatoes – halved for your littlest diners). Or toss with washed Boston lettuce and 2 tbsp (30 mL) each chopped red onion and coriander for a south-of-the-border-style salad.