Cake with Grilled Summer Fruit
Summer fruit is wonderful grilled on the barbecue—soft and caramelized. If you're feeling a little adventurous, try adding just a pinch of black pepper helps bring out the sweet flavour (there's no spicy kick, so kids might like it too).
, peeled and cored
- Oil grill. Preheat barbecue to medium. Place cream, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat cream until soft peaks form. Chill until ready to serve.
- Slice pineapple into thick rounds. Cut peaches in half, removing pits. Place berries in foil cake pan; sprinkle with remaining brown sugar and pinch of pepper, if using. Seal with foil.
- Place sliced fruit on grill, along with sealed pan of berries. Barbecue with lid open, turning fruit slices occasionally, until grill marks form, 6-10 minutes. When fruit slices are done, remove from grill, along with cake pan of berries.
- Carefully brush additional oil on grill. Place cake on grill and barbecue until grill marks form, 1-2 minutes per side. Remove to a large platter.
- When fruit is cool enough to handle, cut peaches into quarters. Arrange peaches and pineapple rings over cake. Carefully uncover foil cake pan, using an oven mitt to avoid hot steam. Spoon berry mixture over fruit on cake. Slice cake into wedges. Serve each with a dollop of whipped cream.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 9 g,
- 1 mg.