This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
While you've got the kids chopping tomatoes, why not double the recipe so there's some left for tomorrow's lunch? (Just drain off any excess liquid before spooning it onto the bread.)
- 4 ripe plum or Roma tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove , squished
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper , to taste
- 1 long loaf French bread , or Italian bread, cut in half lengthwise
- Chop the tomatoes as finely as you can and place them in a bowl. Add the basil, Parmesan, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to mix. Set aside.
- Toast the bread lightly by placing it cut-side-up under the broiler or cut-side-down on the barbecue grill until just golden. Remove and cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces. Top each piece of bread with a spoonful of tomato mixture. (Additional juices are too delicious to throw out! You can sop them up with some breat or add to a salad dressing for extra zing.)