6 to 6 servings
Using strips of zucchini, instead of lasagna noodles, cuts down on prep time and carbs while boosting flavour.
- 1 400-475 g container light ricotta
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 6 zucchini , about 2 lb
- 1 700 mL jar tomato sauce , 3 cups homemade tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs , divided
- 3 1/2 cups grated part-skim mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a medium bowl, stir ricotta with garlic and herbs.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into slices about 1⁄4 in (0.5 cm) thick. Spread 1 cup (250 mL) of tomato sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13 in (3 L) baking dish. Sprinkle with 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) of bread crumbs.
- Arrange half of zucchini slices as you would lasagna noodles. Spread ricotta mixture overtop. Spread another 1 cup (250 mL) of sauce overtop, followed by another 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) of bread crumbs. Sprinkle with 11⁄2 cups (375 mL) of mozzarella.
- Top with remaining zucchini slices, followed by remaining bread crumbs. Spread remaining tomato sauce overtop and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Cover with foil, tenting it (so cheese doesn’t stick to foil) and securing it tightly around edges of dish. Bake in centre of oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake until zucchini is tender, sauce is bubbling, and cheese is lightly golden, about 15 more minutes. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve with a green or Caesar salad, and crusty bread.
- In a serving: 232 calories, 20 g protein, 11 g fat, 16 g carbs
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 11 g,