Photo by Maya Visnyei.
White Corn and Swiss Chard "Lasagna"
This article has not been rated yet.
1 h 30 min
Traditional lasagna is reinvented with corn tortillas subbing for noodles and bold spices mixed in with hearty greens.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 bunch Swiss chard , chopped (about 8 cups chopped leaves and 2 cups stems)
- 2 tbsp chopped yellow garlic
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 475 g container ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups grated white cheddar , divided
- black pepper
- 3 cups of your favourite store-bought tomato sauce
- 12 fresh or frozen white corn tortilla
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onions and Swiss chard stems and sauté for 8 min or until soft and lightly browned. Add garlic and smoked paprika and sauté until garlic is turning golden, about 1 min.
- Add Swiss chard leaves and stir-fry until wilted, about 2 min. Stir in parsley and season with salt. Reserve.
- Combine ricotta with egg and stir until uniform. Add ¾ cup of cheddar and season with pepper. Reserve.
- Spoon about 1 cup of tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13-in. casserole dish. Place 4 tortillas (you may need to cut them in half to make them fit) into dish to make an even layer.
- Dot on half of ricotta mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle over half of Swiss chard mixture and top with 1 cup of tomato sauce. Repeat layers, saving remaining tomato sauce for top. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese over sauce.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 min or until sauce is bubbling. Remove foil and bake 10 min longer or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 min. Serve.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 30 g,
- 20 g,
- 4 g,
- 510 mg.