Upside Down Chicken Shepherd's Pie
This article has not been rated yet.
Try this reversed version of the classic. Get experimental with the veggies and spices to make a totally unique dish.
- 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes , (leftover is fine)
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , squished
- 2 cups total veggies , (chopped or diced or sliced carrots, green beans, mushrooms, peas, celery, broccoli, whatever)
- 500 g ground chicken
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp parsley , chopped (if you have it)
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- In a bowl, have your child stir together the mashed potatoes and the beaten egg until well mixed and creamy. If they’ve already been seasoned, you probably won’t need to add any more salt and pepper. Spread potato mixture in a well-greased 9 in. (22 cm) pie plate, building up the sides to form a crust. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes, until softened. Dump in the rest of the vegetables and cook over medium-high, stirring frequently, until they are almost tender. Depending on the vegetables, this will take 5 to 10 minutes. Crumble in the ground chicken and continue cooking, stirring to break up the clumps, until the meat is no longer pink. Stir together the chicken broth and the cornstarch, then add to the chicken mixture in the skillet. Cook, stirring, until it thickens. Sprinkle in the chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the mashed potato crust, spreading it out evenly. Bake at 350F (180C) for 35 to 40 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned on the edges and the chicken filling is bubbling.