This article has not been rated yet.
This hybrid recipe turns taco ingredients into a lasagna. Who wouldn't love such a thing? Serve it, if you want, with salsa, sour cream and chopped avocado on the side.
- 750 g lean ground beef
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1/4 cup Mexican chili powder , (or less, if you're squeamish)
- 1 jalapeno pepper , chopped (optional)
- 6 cups baked tortilla chips , (approximately - they're hard to measure)
- 1 398-mL can chili-style baked bens
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack , or cheddar
- 1 796-mL) can diced tomatoes
- Combine the ground beef and chopped onion in large skillet and cook, over medium-high heat, until the beef is no longer pink and the onion is softened. Sprinkle in the chili powder and the chopped jalapeno pepper (if you’re using it) and cook, stirring, for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, have your child line the bottom of a 9 x 13 in. (22 x 33 cm) baking dish with about half the tortilla chips. They should cover the bottom of the dish in an even layer. (Nibbling is not only permissible, but unavoidable. Have extra chips available.) Spread the beef mixture evenly over the tortilla chips, then spoon the entire can of beans (liquid and all) over the beef. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of the cheese (reserve about 1/2 cup/125 mL for topping), then cover with the remaining tortilla chips. Spoon the entire can of diced tomatoes (including the juice) over the top, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the whole mess (ta da!).
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 1 hour, until bubbling.