Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Sweet-potato-and-lentil-topped mini cottage piesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Sweet potatoes and lentils pack a punch of fibre and protein to this adorable individual-sized dish.
- 1 medium sweet potato , peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 3 tbsp butter , divided
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk , finely chopped
- 450 g lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Combine sweet potato, lentils and enough water to cover in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and gently boil until potato is tender, 12 to 15 min. Drain and return to pot. Add 2 tbsp butter and 1/2 tsp salt and mash until smooth.
- Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter in a frying pan over medium-high. Cook onion and celery until soft, 3 to 4 min. Add ground beef, stirring often, until no pink remains, 4 to 5 min. Stir in tomato paste and flour until combined, about 1 min. Add broth, Worcestershire sauce and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce
heat to medium and cook until saucy, about 8 min. Stir in peas for last 2 min.
- Preheat broiler. Divide beef mixture among 6 1-cup ramekins on a baking sheet, then top with sweet potato mixture. Broil until peaks are browned, 5 to 6 min.
Instead of making individual cottage pies, use a 10-in. wide oven-safe frying pan for beef mixture. Spread potato mixture over beef mixture and broil until golden brown, 2 to 3 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 35 g,
- 17 g,
- 7 g,
- 696 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin a